[APCLA 6] news from the Sydney Corpus Lab

Monika Bednarek monika.bednarek at sydney.edu.au
Thu Jun 30 20:10:31 EDT 2022

Dear APCLA-list members,

The Sydney Corpus Lab is now posting a monthly newsletter on corpus linguistics and text analytics - I've pasted the first one below fyi - with apologies for cross-posting. Best, Monika

---

Dear Sydney Corpus Lab members and affiliates,
My name is Kelvin and I have just started supporting the Sydney Corpus Lab as project manager. I have recently completed my PhD in Japanese Studies and have written a blog post for the lab which you can find here<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/GdyaCGv0oyCJw4BPDuKXXed?domain=sydneycorpuslab.com/> along with other blog posts.
This is the first edition of the new monthly Sydney Corpus Lab newsletter where we aim to let you know about news and updates relating to recent and upcoming corpus linguistics (and text analytics) events. If you want us to include anything in the next newsletter (early August), please email info at sydneycorpuslab.com<mailto:info at sydneycorpuslab.com>.
The Summer Institutes in Computational Social Science (SICSS) was held in Australia for the first time. This year, the training program was hosted by Sydney Social Sciences and Humanities Advanced Research Centre (SSSHARC) and held at the University of Sydney from 20 June to 1 July. You can read more about the event here<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/gTaQCJyBrGf8xwB26cGMfAd?domain=sydney.edu.au>.

If you missed the Lancaster Symposium on Innovation in Corpus Linguistics 2022, you can watch the recording of the talks and the discussion from this link<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/LlbrCK1DvKTqLWDYXc3Sex9?domain=tinyurl.com>.

The Centre for Corpus Research at the University of Birmingham invites you to this year's Sinclair Lecture by Professor Monika Bednarek (The University of Sydney). The lecture will take place on Monday 4 July at 11am (BST), with the title of "Language and characterization in television series: What corpus linguistics tells us about the construction of social identity in the media". The lecture will be delivered online with BSL interpretation as well as live-captioning. If you would like to attend the event, please register here<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/0MOZCL7EwMfPL9kgGImvCMK?domain=birmingham.ac.uk>.

The 9th conference of the Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis Across Disciplines (CADAAD) will take place from 6-8 July in a hybrid format. We are pleased to say that the Sydney Corpus Lab is participating with three talks:
Melissa Kemble - A corpus-based analysis of athlete identity and patriarchal discourses in the Australian sports media
Carly Bray - Beyond dysfunction and deficit: A corpus-based critical discourse analysis of Australian news coverage of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people(s)
Carly Bray, Monika Bednarek, Gavin Brookes, Tara Coltman-Patel, Catriona Bonfiglioli, and Paul Baker - Weight stigma: Towards a corpus-informed linguistic framework for critical discourse analysis
More information on the conference can be found here<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/YmwbCMwGxOt5j32LwIQk74N?domain=cadaad.info>.
Don't forget the regular webinars offered by the Language Technology and Data Analysis Laboratory (LADAL) - a schedule with upcoming talks is available here<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/h-rNCNLJyQUNo3ZQOi0BWTt?domain=languages-cultures.uq.edu.au>. Recordings of past talks can be found on their YouTube channel<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/4gHFCOMKzVTA3xNg7FA9ZyD?domain=youtube.com>.

Best regards,
Kelvin

Kelvin Lee | Project Manager
Sydney Corpus Lab
Brennan MacCallum Building A18 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
kelvin.k.lee at sydney.edu.au<mailto:kelvin.k.lee at sydney.edu.au>

Recent:

Constructing the corpus of Science Fiction Anime dialogue (SciFAn)<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/qzmyCP7LAXf4QX02jHZEpdX?domain=sydneycorpuslab.com/> [blog post]

Language and Character Identity: A Study of First-Person Pronouns in a Corpus of Science Fiction Anime Dialogue<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/MysPCQnMBZf67PXK2HGqwNk?domain=ses.library.usyd.edu.au> [Doctoral thesis]