[APCLA 3] Corpus linguistics in Suzhou, China

Jeaco, Stephen smjeaco at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Apr 28 08:10:29 EDT 2022

Dear APCLA list members,

Following the brief hello message from Prof. Bednarek in Sydney, I thought I would also post a quick hello and introduce myself.

I’ve been working at XJTLU here in Suzhou (East China) for almost 16 years now.  I am the developer of The Prime Machine corpus tool for English language learning, teaching and research.  It has been available on Windows and macOS for a couple of years now; earlier this year it was released for iOS and Android.  The App is completely free, but it is available via app stores including the App Store (macOS, iPhone and iPad), the Microsoft Store (Windows), Google Play (Android phones and tablets) and Huawei App Gallery (Android phones and tablets).  The app connects to the server in Suzhou and allows you to access readymade corpora as well as build DIY Corpora (even on your phone).  I’d like to be able to make more corpora available (for free to everyone), but subscription / licensing issues of other corpora mean what is available outside my home institution is somewhat limited.  If I can host anyone’s English language corpus, do get in touch!

My PhD was under the supervision of Michael Hoey – and I’m interested in Lexical Priming as well as corpus methods.  I mainly program in Delphi (the same language as WordSmith Tools).  The Prime Machine has innovations in its concordance card display, collocation display, key labels, as well as some lesser-known features such as wordlist statistics and collocation highlighting for DIY corpus texts using a readymade corpus for baselines.

It was really great to attend the conferences at Hong Kong and Japan.  We've been in our second lockdown for a couple of months now, but we're safe and healthy and I can't really complain!  I hope international travel will open for us in the future, but in the meantime many thanks to Michael Barlow for getting this mailing list up and running!

Best wishes,

Stephen